About Military Child of the Year® Award
The annual awards will recognize eight outstanding young people ages 13 to 18. Seven of them will represent a branch of the armed forces — the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Space Force, Coast Guard, and National Guard — for their scholarship, volunteerism, leadership, extracurricular involvement, and other criteria while facing the challenges of military family life. The eighth award is the Military Child of the Year® Award for Innovation presented by Booz Allen Hamilton. This award goes to a military child who has designed a bold and creative solution to address a local, regional or global challenge.
All eight Military Child of the Year® Award recipients will be flown with a parent or guardian to Washington, D.C., to be recognized at the April 2021 gala, during which senior leaders of each branch of service will present the awards. They also will receive $10,000 each, a laptop computer, and other donated gifts. In addition, the Military Child of the Year® Award for Innovation recipient will meet with a team of Booz Allen employees for project support.
More about the 2020 Military Child of the Year® Award Recipients:
- The seven recipients have had a change of station a combined 28 times.
- The seven recipients have lived through 232 months of deployments.
- Collectively, the seven recipients have logged 2,084 volunteer hours in the 12 months before nominations.
- Of the seven, 5 are seniors in high school.
- Five are National Honor Society Members
- All seven take AP or dual college credit classes in school
- Four are competitive athletes (Swimming, volleyball, cross country, cheer)
- Five speak at least one other language other than English
- One has a purple belt in Karate
- One plays the alto saxophone
- One was elected to the American Legion’s Girls State
- One speed solves Rubik’s Cubes
- One is a Cadet Staff Sergeant with MCJROTC
- One was Miss Teen Buckeye State Queen
- One has visited 23 different countries
View pictures from our last live event in 2019!
Watch the 2019 Facebook Live presentation of our Awards Ceremony!
About Operation Homefront
Founded in 2002, Operation Homefront is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to build strong, stable, and secure military families so that they can thrive – not simply struggle to get by – in the communities they have worked so hard to protect. Recognized for superior performance by leading independent charity oversight groups, over 90 percent of Operation Homefront expenditures go directly to programs that support tens of thousands of military families each year. Operation Homefront provides critical financial assistance, transitional and permanent housing and family support services to prevent short-term needs from turning into chronic, long-term struggles. Thanks to the generosity of our donors and the support from thousands of volunteers, Operation Homefront proudly serves America’s military families. For more information on nominations and more, go to https://www.facebook.com/OperationHomefront.